“Again in 1847 Clarke reported examining Jamberoo area seeking coal. His report confirmed a report by Michael Yates that the escarpment at the back of Illawarra exhibited an outcrop of coal, that workable coal existed under the cliffs and that coal existed at Jamberoo. He recommended the forming of drives or tunnels into the surfaces of the seams. As it was only a few miles to the sea it was considered worth-while.” (pp26)
“Parkes, Sutherland, Nichols, Lord and others near Jamberoo and Saddleback Range selected a large area of coal land. They opened two thick seams but the mines were not developed and supplies were obtained from the Bulli and Coal Cliff mines. The Woodstock Dairy Company planned to produce coal for the factory in 1888 but samples taken burnt to clinker and after consideration the coal mining project was abandoned and has not been pursued since.” (pp101)
Gas was laid on in Kiama and 15 gas lamps lit on 28th June, 1884. Where was the coal sourced from??
“Blue Haven – History of Kiama Municipality”
By William A. Bayley 1976
1923 – Four new skips arrive at Albion Park for Mount Olive Colliery, Jamberoo. An engineer journeyed from Sydney to install a quantity of machinery. (SCT & W’Gong Argus, 6/7/1923 p9)
1923 – Olive Mount Colliery opens at Jamberoo. (DoMAR 1923).
1924 – “Notice of Discontinuance” received from the Olive Mount mine. (DoMAR 1924)