Opened: - 1857 – Thomas Hale
Closed: - 1863
Reopened: - 9/11/1887 – Bellambi Coal Co. Ltd. (Joseph Mitchell M.L.A and Frederick Woolcott-Waley)
Bellambi Coal Co. Ltd purchases South Bulli Colliery: - 1901
Re-Closed: - 1921
Amalgamates with South Bulli Colliery: - 1926
The third real attempt to work coal in the Illawarra District.
1852 – Thomas Hale, residing at Fancy Farm, Woonona, commences operations just north of Bellambi Creek, immediately west of the current Woonona Railway Stn. Utilising a self-acting incline to lower the coal to the plain, reloading into bullock drays and conveying it via a bush track to the village at Bellambi Point. The coal was reloaded again into rowing boats for transfer into sea going boats. This coal was regarded as excellent for steam-raising. (Eardley, Gifford. “Transporting the Black Diamond” Book 2. c. 1968)
1857 - Opened in 1857 by Thomas Hale, a businessman from Sydney, in Woonona on land owned by Henry Osborne
By September, 1858, a three mile railway of wooden rails with iron facings had been constructed to a jetty at Bellambi.
1857 – The delivery of the first load of coal was celebrated by Mrs McCabe breaking a bottle of champagne over the load at Bellambi Harbour on Wednesday 18th November. The working of the mine is leased by Mr. Hale to Messrs McMullen and Co., for a royalty. (SMH 23/11/1857)
1858 – Jan – Accident to a Mr. Nevin during “undermining work” when coal fell upon him. A doctor visiting Mr Hale, the proprietor of the mine, was able to assist immediately. (Empire, 23/01/1858 p5)
1858 – Jan – Mr Thomas Hale, the proprietor of the Bellambi mine, purchases the brigantine schooner, Nightingale, to convey coal from Bellambi to Sydney or elsewhere. (Empire, 23/01/1858 p5)
1858 – September – 250 tons from Bellambi Mine is put aboard the “European”, a Victorian packet, to test the coal for steam raising. The Bellambi Jetty is currently 500 ft long. The coal is brittle and it would be of advantage to load the ship closer to the mine thus reducing coal breakage. (SMH 10th Sept. 1858)
1859 – June – Testimonials as to the “excellent” qualities of Bellambi Steam Coal are advertised in the Newspapers. (Argus 2nd June 1859)
In 1859 Henry Osborne acquires a 50% share in the project.
1859 – Fatality – 10th Sep. Daniel Sullivan (William O’Sullivan), miner, by fall of stone from roof. (Ill Merc 1/10/1859; J.Arney)
1861 – Thomas Hale compiles a letter describing his method and costing of laying the 3 miles of tramway from the colliery; “the earthworks are 14 ft wide for the 3’8” gge rail track, the steepest gradient is 1 in 10, using turpentine for the 7 ft long sleepers, split somewhere between 8” and 14” thick. 2 x 4” deep notches are cut into the sleepers to accept the 5” x 2.5” blackbutt timber rails, cut to 12, 15 or 18 ft in length. The rails are placed on their edge in the notches and wedged using 6” ironbark wedges. The iron plating varies from 1.5 to 2” in width and 3/8” thick, nailed on using countersunk nails. The sleepers were 4 ft apart with only small or slack coal for ballast. The coal trucks are ½ ton each carrying some 30 cwt of coal on 22” diameter wheels. Initial cost was 3,000 pounds to lay the 3 miles with the operating cost being less than 1d. per ton mile. (Moreton Bay Courier 1st Jan.1861)
In 1863 financial problems caused the mine to close for the next twenty five years.
1863 – November – Thomas Hale is insolvent with “the first colonial-built ketch - Warlock” being offered up for auction on 12/11/1863. (SMH 7th Nov. 1863)
1863 – November – A preliminary notice re the Insolvent Estate of Thomas Hale and John McMullen & Company. The Woonona Coal Mines are to be offered for sale by auction. (SMH 18th Nov. 1863)
1863 – Proposed auction of the Insolvent Estate of Thomas Hale and John McMullen and Company.
To be auctioned on 26th November, 1863 by T. W. Bowden, and consisting of:-
All interests in the unexpired term of leases for 21 years of 200 acres of lands known as the Woonona Coal Mines, situated at Bellambi, together with livestock, wagons and sundry rolling stock as per inventory.
The lease entitles the holder to dig and work all coal seams under the 200 acres of land known as Dixon’s Grant upon payment of 1s per ton upon the coal obtained. There are no encumbrances on this lease. The official plan shows the workings to be in the upper seams of coal, varying in thickness from seven to ten feet. There are several other coal seams on this land all of which can be entered by level adits, without any sinking. Two new seams have been opened and coal can be obtained directly with the present appliances.
The mines are free from water and within two and a half miles of the shipping port. Coal sold in the last quarter from these mines is upwards of 7500 tons, and are capable of producing 150 tons per day. The coal has been continuously dug for the last six years.
All of the plant, rolling stock and improvements now at the mine, or may be placed there, are, at the option of the owner of the land, to be purchased by him at the expiration of the lease, the value to be fixed by arbitration.
An enormous amount of money has been spent on plant and other things including;
- An underground tramway several miles in extent.
- 24 underground coal trucks carrying ½ ton each
- Twelve coal trucks carrying15 cwt each for outside works
- Tumbling–tom and first coal screen, made with furnace bars, tramway and trucks for removing slack coal
- Double line of railway to large drum, with turntable
- Building and drum-head, with wire rope and machinery for lowering coal down the first incline
- Double line of tramway down the first incline 150 yards in length
- Lower coal screens, with buildings, tumbling-tom, trucks and tram for removing slack coal
- Blacksmith’s shop, with forge, tools, iron, all complete for truck building and repairs
- New wire rope, etc. etc. etc.
With the above will be sold the right to the lease for twenty-one years of the coal deposit under 48 acres of land immediately behind the 200 acres, and for which the lessees will only have to pay the same 1s per ton royalty on the coal removal.
20 acres of the 200 acres is leased to the same parties for 21 years at £1 per acre, with the right to timber thereon subject to the lessors’ reservation of the ground forming the tramway to the mine or for other lines and roads. On this portion are three homes with gardens and fifteen miner’s cottages each let at 10s per month.
The leases are dated 1st October 1853, having nearly 16 years to run.
LOT 2 – The right, title and interest of the assignee in the fifth undivided share, held in conjunction with the Osborne-Wallsend Company of about 43 acres 2 roods of coal land, running from Dixon’s 200 acres to McCabe’s land and known as M. Keefe’s 50 acres. Terms at sale. (SMH 23rd November 1863)
1864 - May – Re advertisement of the proposed auction of the Insolvent Estate of Thomas Hale and John McMullen and Company.
Now to be auctioned on 12th May, 1864 by T. W. Bowden, and consisting of: - (see previous date) (SMH 7/05/1864)
1864 – August –Bellambi Colliery advertises that the mines are being re-opened and offering coal for loading on ships. (SMH 5th Aug. 1864)
Hale had driven two tunnel systems, one of which hit the well known Cinder Belt which hemmed in the mine to the west and divided part of the holding still in good coal to the south.
The Bellambi Coal Company was formed in 1887 with Mr. Joseph Mitchell in control. By arrangement with the Osbornes, the owners of the coal, a new tunnel was driven on the ridge above Woonona, between the two old tunnels driven by Hale. The old adits will be utilised for ventilation but with a new entrance.
The original jetty which was built by William Mills was swept away in 1898 and never rebuilt.
1888 – Woonona Old Tunnel has 6 men u/g driving a connection to old workings. Woonona Colliery is added to list of collieries under inspection. (DoMAR 1888)
1888 – “The old Woonona Colliery will soon commence sending out coal”. (SMH 28/9/1888)
1889 – “Mr. Joseph Mitchell, M.L.A., manager and director of the Wonoona Colliery is proceeding rapidly with the construction of the jetty and the railway connecting the mine with the jetty at Bellambi. The railway is about 3 miles long and expected to be finished next month. The Jetty is about 1100 ft long and will be completed within a month. Vessels up to 1500 tons will be able to load there. The expected output from Wonoona will be 400 tons daily at the start.” (SMH 2/4/1889)
1889 – Fatality – 4th Sep. Robert Moore, miner, by fall of stone from roof. (DoMAR 1889)
1889 – The official opening of the Woonona colliery, now under the control of Mr. Joseph Mitchell, M. L. A. to take place next Saturday (9/11/1889). The mine was formerly the property of Mr. John Hales of Sydney? After working for several years it ceased operations remaining idle for over 20 years. During that time the jetty and tramline had completely rotted away.
1889 – November – The Bellambi Colliery, to be worked by a Victorian company, was formally opened on Saturday, 9th November 1889, by the Premier in the presence of Mr. D. McEachern (chairman of directors), Mr. Thomas Loader, Mr. P.R.Woolcott of Melbourne and others. The property formally known as the Woonona Colliery has been closed for some 25 years but the Bellambi Company has erected a 1,000 ft jetty, constructed 3 miles of railway track plus other arrangements to insure some 500 tons of coal per day. (The Argus 11th Nov. 1889)
1889 – “Reopening of the Bellambi Colliery” – Bellambi is really a new name for an old mine. Some 25 or 30 years ago the late Mr. Thomas Hale commenced mining operations at this spot, on one of the lowest peaks of the main range. The workings were then known as Woonona. A series of non-successes brought about an abandonment of the mine and for years it has lain idle. Towards the end of September of last year the Bellambi Coal company was registered in Melbourne with a capital (subscribed privately) of £55,000 and the property of 779 acres was leased from the trustees of the Osborne estate. The work of development was undertaken by Messrs. Mitchell and Woolcott-Waley, commencing in October. A substantial jetty has since then been built (a portion of it was washed away during the storms in May last), a thousand feet long with a depth of water of 24 ft.; with three miles of railway have been constructed with all the necessary sidings, and connected to the Government line. The self-acting incline of 30 chains, and fitted with drums and ropes and rollers has the easiest gradient of any in the Southern district. A 20 ton locomotive, 100 ?-ton coal waggons, 200 skips, screens, weighbridge, stables, engine sheds and manager’s house. Messrs Harper and Harper were the engineers. The property consists of 779 acres, and the current seam of coal averages 7 ft thick. Three other seams are known to exist on the property, varying in thickness from 4 to 12 ft. The first seam is being reached through a new heading, excavated a little distance from the old entrance, and coal in small quantities has been obtained during the last two months. The estimated output of the mine is from 400 to 500 tons per diem. During the opening ceremony it was stated that Bellambi Coal Company was purchasing the whole of the adjoining South Bulli Colliery’s output, the contract being for nearly 500,000 tons in the next three years. (SMH 11th Nov 1889)
1889 – November – The proprietors of the Woonona Colliery are reported to be corresponding with Messrs. Siemens Bros. and other iron manufacturers in England with regard to establishing an iron works in their district. The ores are said to be of excellent quality. (The Argus 16th Nov. 1889)
1889 – November – “In return for the dinner given to them at the recent opening of the Bellambi Colliery, the employees entertained the proprietors, Messrs. Mitchell and Walcott Waley (sic), at dinner at Dickson’s Hotel last night. Over a hundred persons were present and Mr John Williams, the manager, was chairman.” (SMH 25th Nov. 1889)
1889 – 72 men employed, 15,000 cfm for ventilation (DoMAR 1889)
1890 – April – “A report that a coke works is to be established in connection with Saywell & Wilson’s colliery (Sth Bulli) at Bellambi” (SMH 29th Apr. 1890)
1890 – ……. “by Mr. John Williams, manager of the Woonona Colliery” (SMH 24/5/1890)
1890 – Woonona Colliery incline track work and rolling stock was damaged by “larrikins” to an estimated £1,200. This was apparently triggered by Jas. Mitchell, colliery owner, with his decision to set non-unionists to work. The mine is now under police protection with Mitchell vowing never to allow unionists on the property. (Advertiser, Adelaide, 24th Oct 1890)
1890 – Havoc at the property of Mr. Joseph Mitchell, M. L. A. when a large number of waggons were sent adrift from the steep tramway, tracks were torn up and points tampered with to render them useless. The telephone line was destroyed. A number of men and women visited the free-labourers camp near Mitchell’s jetty and maintained a continuous pandemonium all night, hurling insults and threats incessantly. Mrs Mitchell and family residing nearby now fear for their own safety. Fifty police are on duty guarding the free-labourers camp. (Maitland Mercury & Hunter River General Advertiser, 25th Oct 1890)
1890 – November - The southern district mines including Woonona Mine is on strike with an offer by Mr. J. Mitchell, M.L.A. to re-employ about 100 previously employed men being refused. The mine is currently producing some 120 tons of small coal per day. (The Argus 1st Nov. 1890)
1890 – December – Voting is under way on the resumption of work at the southern collieries. A large majority have voted for the resumption of work at Mitchell’s Woonona pit. (The Advertiser 30th Dec. 1890)
1890 – December – Unionists return to work at Bellambi Mine, accepting the 10s. per day offered. (Barrier Miner [Broken Hill] 30th Dec. 1890)
1890 – 90 men employed up to the strike – only 20 employed during second half of year. (DoMAR 1890)
Part plan of the Coal Seams in the Illawarra District – Mackenzie. DoMAR 1891
1891 – Joseph Mitchell M. L. A. leaves for England in connection with a proposed Colonial iron works. Intention is to return in June 1891.
1891 – Adam Alexander Boyd reported as being Asst. Mine Manager, Bellambi Colliery.
1891 – July – A fire totally destroys the colliery office of J. Mitchell M.L.A., located on the beach near Bellambi Jetty. (SMH 15th Jul. 1891)
1891 - About 70 men and horses employed u/g (DoMAR 1891)
1892 – September – A notice was posted at the Bellambi Mine giving all employees 14 days notice with the option of re-employment, but requiring a new interview. (SMH 27th Sep. 1892)
1892 – September – A letter to the Editor of the SMH from Mitchell & Woolcott-Waley explaining the notice as reported the previous day. (SMH 28th Sep. 1892)
1892 – 104 men employed, 119,694 tons produced (DoMAR 1892)
1893 – May – A letter to the Editor of the SMH explaining the terms of the agreement under which the men were to be employed at Woonona Colliery and signed by Fredk. Woolcott Waley, Manager, Bellambi Coal Company, Limited, Proprietors, Woonona Colliery. (SMH 19th May, 1893)
1893 – 92 men employed, 42,716 tons produced. (DoMAR 1893)
The mine was successful until 1893, when Mitchell was forced out of the company. After this, economic conditions allowed for continuation until 1914 when the mine was stopped. It opened for a short while after the war and finally closed in 1921.
1894 – 84 men employed, 37,000 tons produced. (DoMAR 1894)
1895 – A notice was posted at the colliery that after 14 days labour was no longer required at the mine. (Aust. Town & Country Journal, 30/3/1895)
1895 – Work suspended due to downturn in the coal trade. Only a few men are u/g, undertaking repairs. (DoMAR 1895)
1896 – The Woonona Colliery, which has been closed for over a year, will start to work again. (SMH 4/5/1896)
1896 - Woonona Colliery, which has been closed for 12 months, will re-open today. (Barrier Miner, Broken Hill, 4/5/1896)
1896 – 68 men employed, 17,183 tons produced. (DoMAR 1896)
1897- Extract from “The Mines of New South Wales” Dept. of Mines, Carpenter, 1897.
Bellambi Coal Co. Proprietary Ltd.
Registered Office: 467 Collins St, Melbourne
Directors: M.D. McEacharn (Chairman) Melbourne; Hon. Nicholas Fitzgerald, M.L.C.
Hon. Thos. Loader, R. R. Woolcott, J.P., F. K. Terry, James Burns (Burns,
Philp & Co. Ltd,), Sydney.
Local Secretary: Frederick Woolcott Waley, J.P. 63 Pitt St Sydney
Mine Manager: George Carter
Secretary: W.W. Cudgeon, Melbourne
Development: Colliery complete, locomotive, winding, pumping and hauling engines
3 miles of railway, 700 tons waggon skits. Jetty 1,300 Ft long with 21 ft water at low tide, fitted for shipping 300 tons per hour, 2 steam colliers 1 x hulk, capacities 2,000 tons.
Area: 780 acres
1897 – 6th Jan. Mr. George Cater, manager, notifies DoM that Mr. Enoch Heath has been appointed undermanager (DoMAR 1897)
1898 – 79 men employed, 38,073 tons produced (DoMAR 1898)
1899 – 89 men employed, 32,791 tons produced (DoMAR 1899)
1900 – 115 men employed, 48,148 tons produced. The Broken Hill Proprietary, Silver-mining Company is in the process of erecting 50 coke ovens near the Sth Bulli Colliery. (DoMAR 1900)
1900 – “The South Bulli mine owned by the Hon. E. Vickery, has been sold to the Bellambi Coal Pty. The exchange will take effect on Jan 1st 1901. The Bellambi mine immediately joins the South Bulli and for some years has been purchasing the output of the Sth Bulli mine.” (SMH 19/11/1900)
1900 – Fatality 28th Nov – James Galloway, 17 yrs, crushed to death by a skip at Bellambi Colliery (SMH 28/11/1900)
1901 – On 16/5/1901 Mr Fred Waley, general manager of Bellambi Coal co. Ltd announces that the company has purchased South Bulli Colliery and Mr Geo. Cater will manage in lieu of Mr J.C. Jones. Mr Clement Jones is appointed u/manager of Bellambi Colliery. (DoMAR 1901)
1901 – “The South Bulli Colliery has been formally handed over by Mr. J.C. Jones to Mr. G. Cater as representative of the Bellambi Coal Company Ltd. Mr. Jones has taken over the management of Mt Keira Colliery and Mr. G. Cater that of Sth Bulli Colliery.” (SMH 23/5/1901)
1901 – Fatality 18th Jun – William Jack, 38, miner, fall of roof stone (DoMAR 1901)
1901 – “The steamer “Malachite” arrived from Glasgow to her new owners, Bellambi Colliery Co.” 25/9/1901 (SMH 26/9/1901)
1902 – Employment; 82 u/g and 26 at the surface. 84,524 tons produced. (DoMAR 1902)
1902 – The Bellambi Coal Co. Ltd., owners of the “White Diamond” fleet of steam colliers, Werfa, Malachite and Currajong has purchased the steamer Marjorie in England. (SMH 23/4/1902)
1902 – Notice of the death by natural causes of Mr. George Cater, manager Sth Bulli and Bellambi Collieries, on 4th November, while on a visit to Auckland, NZ. (SMH 5/11/1902)
1903 – Employment; 73 u/g and 27 at the surface. Mr A.E.O. Sellers is appointed mine manager of South Bulli and Bellambi Collieries as from 1/1/1903. The colliery is reported as being ventilated by adits and a Schiele fan pulling 42,000 cfm. (DoMAR 1903)
1903 – The steamer Currajong is involved in a collision with the ferry Victoria off Milsons Point. The ferry was severely damaged; the coal carrier was able to continue. (SMH 5/6/1903)
1903 – The Sth Bulli proprietary have decided to add to their machinery at their Bellambi mine. Tenders are called for the masonry foundation beds for engines etc. (SMH 24/11/1903)
1904 – Employment; 71 u/g and 25 at the surface. A 26’ diameter “Walker” fan is installed at the South Bulli Mine replacing a smaller “Waddle” fan. This new fan also ventilates the Bellambi Colliery. Electricity is used for pumping, lighting or power at the Bellambi Colliery. (DoMAR 1904)
1904 – Protests are made by the MWS&DB against the proposed mining of coal under the catchment by the Bellambi Collieries. (SMH 13/6/1904)
1905 – Employment; 77 u/g and 25 at the surface. Mr A.E.O. Sellers is the mine manager; Mr Clement Jones is the U/m. (DoMAR 1905)
1906 – Mr A.E.O. Sellers is the mine manager; Mr Isaac Scobie is the U/m, appointed 30/1/1906, vice Mr Clement Jones, retired. (DoMAR 1906)
1906 – Trade at the Bellambi Colliery is extremely low having been idle for the last fortnight. Some of the Bellambi Colliery miners have left the district. (SMH 22/5/1906)
1907 – Employment; 86 u/g and 22 at the surface. Mr A.E.O. Sellers is the mine manager; Mr Isaac Scobie is the U/m. (DoMAR 1907)
1908 – Employment; 99 u/g and 20 at the surface. (DoMAR 1908)
1909 – Employment; 94 u/g and 22 at the surface. (DoMAR 1909)
1909 – “Bellambi mine is likely to remain closed till the end of the year” (SMH 23/8/1909)
1910 – Employment; 8 u/g and 6 at the surface. (DoMAR 1910)
1911 – Employment; 7 u/g and 4 at the surface. The Colliery is listed as owned by Bellambi Coal Co., 9 Bridge St Sydney; Mine Manager as A.E.O. Sellers and Isaac Scobie as U/manager. (DoMAR 1911)
1912 – Employment; 31 u/g and 12 at the surface. The Colliery is listed as owned by Bellambi Coal Co., 10 Spring St Sydney, Superintendant as F.G. Waley, Secretary as W. Gudgeon, Mine Manager as Isaac Scobie, U/m as H. Shepherd and Certified Electrician, J.G. Green.
On 8/10/1912 Mr. A.E.O. Sellers was appointed as agent of the South Bulli and Bellambi Collieries; Mr D.J. Davies as Manager, Sth Bulli Colliery, Mr. Isaac Scobie as Manager Bellambi Colliery and U/m for Sth Bulli Colliery; Mr R. Shepherd as U/m for Bellambi Colliery. (DoMAR 1912)
1913 – Employment; 74 u/g and 16 at the surface. Mr J.D. Davies is listed as Mine Manager. No production figs listed. On 25/6/1913, Mr. I. Scobie is appointed in the dual role of Manager and U/manager. On 17/10/1913, Mr. D. J. Davies is appointed in the dual role of Manager and U/manager. (DoMAR 1913)
Reptilian footprints identified in Bellambi Colliery workings roof - 1913
*In 1913, a roof fall exposed numerous reptilian footprints, identified as probably Ichnium gampsodactylum, a reptile found in the Permian rocks of Europe.
Early in the 20th century a steam driven drill was used to bore a test hole down from “Diamond Drill Swamp” (situated a short distance south of the top of the first hill north of Bellambi Ck. on the Mt. Ousley Road). The coal to power the drill rig was hauled up Bulli Pass by a contractor, Mr. Henry Mant, Carrier and Coach Operator of Bulli.
In 1917 the Sassafras Saw-Mill was commissioned by South Bulli Coal Co. and built by Robert Cram Snr. with brothers, Jack and Arthur. The mill was situated approximately 80 metres west of the escarpment due west of the Bellambi Colliery and connected to that colliery by a flying fox. It supplied timber to the mines and softwoods for general purpose use such as boat building furniture and various types of handles, the empty flying fox being utilised on the return trip to carry coal to power the mill.
Burnt down in 1923, rebuilt but burned down again in 1925-26, the mill site is now the location of the Bellambi 132 KV substation which can be seen from the Mt. Ousley Road.
From a paper by G. Sellers presented to the 1976 Illawarra AusIMM Conference and a historical publication by West Hapgood, Pioneers of Bulli Mountain.
*Harper, L. F. F.G.S. 1915, Geology & Mineral Resources of the Southern Coalfield, pp 153
1914 – Employment; 70 u/g and 15 at the surface. Mr I. Scobie is appointed as Mine Manager, 16/9/1914; Mr S. Hodson as U/m, 16/9/1914. (DoMAR 1914)
1915 – Employment; 66 u/g and 15 at the surface. (DoMAR 1915)
1916 – Employment; 67 u/g and 15 at the surface. (DoMAR 1916)
1916 – “Bellambi Colliery remained closed indefinitely – German shipping lines were one of its largest clients” (Ill. Merc. 3/12/1999)
1917 – Employment; 51 u/g and 17 at the surface. No production figs listed. (DoMAR 1917)
1918 – Employment; 3 u/g and 2 at the surface. (DoMAR 1918)
1919 – Employment; 3 u/g and 2 at the surface. The colliery is shown to have not worked any time during the year ending 31st Dec. 1919. The Colliery is listed as owned by Bellambi Coal Co., 10 Spring St Sydney, Superintendant as A.E.G. Sellers, Secretary as W. Gudgeon, Mine Manager as I. Scobie, U/m as S. Hodson and Certified Electrician, J.G. Green. (DoMAR 1919)
1920 - Employment; 3 u/g and 2 at the surface. The colliery is listed as owned by Bellambi Coal Co., Mine Manager is I. Scobie, operating in the Bulli seam, accessed by 3 intaking adits [10’6”x7’6”; 5’8”x6’6”; 7’3”x8’5”] with the return via Sth Bulli fan at Sth Bulli Colliery. (DoMAR 1920)
1921 – Employment; 3 u/g and 2 at the surface. (DoMAR 1921)
1922 – Employment; 3 u/g and 1 at the surface. (DoMAR 1922)
1923 – Employment; 2 u/g and 1 at the surface. (DoMAR 1923)
1924 – Employment; 3 u/g and 1 at the surface. (DoMAR 1924)
1925 – Employment; 3 u/g and 1 at the surface. (DoMAR 1925)
1926 – Employment; 3 u/g and 1 at the surface. Notice was received by the DoM that the workings of Bellambi Colliery will in future be part of the South Bulli Colliery, the whole of both collieries in future to be known under the name of South Bulli. (DoMAR 1926)