Opens - 1904
Seam - #6 (Woonona Seam)
Owner – Mr. Pernell?
Closes – 1911
Re-opens – 1920 as the Central Bulli Colliery
Closes – 1920
Re-opens – 1921 as the Bulli Central Colliery
Closes - 1922
Originally opened as Pendleton’s Tunnel
1904 - Opened in the #6 seam in Portions 82 and 83 Parish of Woonona (Harper 1915)
The seam worked was 7 feet (2.13m) thick and very dirty. From the site of the old pit top it was probably the Plunketts Hill seam or perhaps the Tongarra. from a paper by G. Sellers, 1976, The Illawarra Coalfield – A Brief History to 1905 presented at the AusIMM Conference, Illawarra, 1976.
1910 – Blackball Colliery, Woonona, listed as opening in DoMAR
Inspectors report lists 2 men employed at the mine. DoMAR 1910 (earliest mention of colliery by DoM)
1911 – 16th May – Mr. A. Purnell notifies DoM that Blackball Colliery is temporarily idle.
Inspectors report lists 0 men employed at the mine. (DoMAR 1911)
Blackball was a small colliery, opening in 1904 and working the No. 6 Seam (Woonona seam) with the coal being disposed of locally. Coal quality was relatively poor, work being abandoned in May, 1911 after the workings reached a distance of some 70 yards (64 m). The Coal seam at the face measuring some 7 feet (2.13m) containing a prominent band up to 1 ½ inches (38mm) thick some 2’-9” (0.838m) from the roof Harper, L. F. F.G.S – Geology and Mineral Resources of the Southern Coal-Field, Part 1, The South Coastal Portion, Dept. of Mines, 1915.
1912 – 2nd Jan - Mr. Pernell (sic) notifies DoM of abandonment of Blackball Colliery. (DoMAR 1912)
1920 – Blackball Colliery re-opens under the new name of Central Bulli Colliery (6 men listed as employed).
Central Bulli Syndicate – J. Richards (permit manager) – No. 4 seam – Adit 10’ x 6’ – A 7’ (2.14m) diameter shaft being sunk (to be 40’ (12.2m) when completed).
1920 – Central Bulli Colliery is discontinued. (DoMAR 1920)
1921 –Notice of Re-commencement of Bulli Central Colliery (sic) is lodged with DoM. Total of 3 employees. (DoMAR 1921)
1922 – Notice of Discontinuance of Bulli Central Colliery is lodged with DoM (DoMAR 1922)