Name change: 1948
1919 – Report (by L. F. Harper) on a coal outcrop on Black Bob’s Creek, about 8 miles W. S. W of Moss Vale and adjoining the southern boundary of portion 36, parish Belanglo, county Camden. Shown to Harper by a Mr. A. E. Murphy of Wingello. A short tunnel was driven for some 30 feet on the outcrop many years ago. (DoMAR 1919 p168).
1928 – No recording of Black Bob’s Colliery between 1937 & at least back to 1928.
1937 – Notice of opening of Black Bob’s Colliery and its discontinuance, received by DoM (ARDoM1937)
1948 – Black Bob’s Colliery changes name to Southern Colliery. Southern reported as working 204 days (normal) during Jan – Dec 1948.
1949 – Southern Colliery reported as working 195 days during Jan – Dec 1949.
DMR Report 1948 (J. Chalmers Inspector)
1950 – No working days listed but 20 electrical cap lamps reported as in use. (DoMAR 1950)
1969 27th June – Cessation of work (RT)
- 2006 – Rehabilitation by Derelict Mines
Record Tracing; Black Bob’s Colliery - RT 146
Commencement Date; 12/08/1948 S.M.C. Saywell (Reg. Surv.)
Final Cert of Accuracy; 24/10/1965 (Henderson?)
Note; “Limit of pillar extraction as at 27/6/1969 based on information supplied to the Surveyor by Mr F. Hodgson, the Manager at the time of cessation, 27/6/1969. Signed??? F. Craven 1/7/1974.
There appears to be a mark over the RT Title name “Black Bob’s”, possibly remains of adhesive tape placed over the name when changed to Southern Colliery in 1948?
Comment re 2 coal mines in Canyonleigh
….”near Black Bob’s Creek behind Eccleston Park, off Canyonleigh Road.”
Extract from Canyonleigh Community Association Inc Update – Sep-Oct 2010